Our volunteers play a meaningful role in transforming job seekers’ lives by sharing knowledge of U.S. workplace culture and expectations, industry insights, and lessons learned.
UpGlo volunteers support job seekers through interview coaching and by encouraging and mentoring them through what can be a challenging time. There’s nothing more rewarding than seeing job seekers gain confidence as they achieve their goals.
Almost all of us are immigrants or descendants of immigrants, and we are here today because at some point, this country welcomed us or our ancestors and allowed them to call it home. Now, millions of refugees need that same welcoming spirit from us and the rest of the developed world. Read full story
We need volunteers from all professional fields to serve the diverse backgrounds of our job seekers. Whether you are an industry veteran or mid-career professional, you have valuable experience to draw on and share with our job seekers. You must have:
- At least 3 years of professional experience
- Strong track record of helping others succeed
- Interest in other cultures and respect for the immigrant experience
- Excellent English communication and writing skills
Most of your volunteering experiences will be through informational interviews with immigrant job seekers in your industry. Informational interviews are one time meetings during which the volunteer provides information, connections, and advice to the job seeker.
Volunteers also help job seekers prepare for upcoming interviews. UpGlo will provide the volunteer with interview and feedback guides to help the job seeker improve their interviewing skills.
All of UpGlo’s job seekers are proficient in English. However, for some, it can be helpful to get extra practice. UpGlo connects qualifying job seekers and volunteers for 10 week ESL mentorships. Participating volunteers meet once a week for 10 weeks with their job seeker for discussions and extra ESL instruction.
Other Ways to Help
- Tell your network about us and introduce us to new people
- Get your company involved in corporate volunteer opportunities
- Refer work-authorized, skilled immigrants to our program
- Help our local Leadership Councils with their fundraisers
- Hold a fundraiser of your own, raise pledges on your birthday or for a walk/run.